Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Turkish Delights! Mom's visit to Istanbul, Turkey!

My mom and I said goodbye to Greece and flew back to beautiful Istanbul! I took her to Taksim first- the Times Square of Istanbul! We wandered down the famous street called "Istiklal," window shopping, as well as doing some actual shopping; mom couldn't get enough scarfs!
2 things were important to me at this moment: that my mom try 2 of my favorite things! First, we grabbed some Kumpir (like a baked potato...only Turkish. And loaded with a million things) then we went to a cafe called Mado, and split a waffle; yes a waffle. The waffles come loaded with your choice of toppings- my favorite is a white chocolate spread, fruit, and fruity turkish ice creams on top...DELISH!
After our 2 delectable, unhealthy snacks, we were full. As we were leaving, we stopped into another shop and bought an assortment of homemade, fresh baklava's to give to a family taking us out to dinner that night. (I teach their 6 year old twins on friday and saturday)

We meandored our way into Ortakoy, and passed a breast cancer run- boy were those people filled with joy! It was incredible to pass through the crowds in their pink attire, the bands, and the over all stopped traffic for this event. My favorite place in Ortakoy looks like a tiny market by the bosphorus, with many people selling hand crafted jewelry, scarves, knick knacks, and more stands with Kumpir, borek, stuffed mussels, and other things....of course we made some room in our tummies to split some stuffed mussels, another favorite of mine.

Sunny day back in Istanbul! :)


The next day, we ventured to the Egyptian Spice Market, and the Grand Bazaar. Now take into account, my mom in NOT a big shopper whatsoever, so I had a lot planned for this day, which we did NOT get too. In 3 months a person can change a lot; we spent practically our entire day at these two covered markets!

Mom buying Turkish saffron!

Getting my Louis Vuitton watch fitted!

The next day we did a lot more-
First we met my friend Bre a the Tuesday market, which is pretty close to our house. This market sells literally EVERYTHING; from underwear, to kitchen appliances, to fake chanel bags, to fresh veggies and baked goods, and you name it whatever else! After the market we headed to The Haghia Sofia and the Sultan Ahmet Mosque (blue mosque) and stopped to have coffee at a cafe.

me and Bre outside the "blue Mosque"

Can you believe after that we decided to head back to the grand bazaar?! We were planning on going to a traditional Turkish dance show at night in the Sultan Ahmet area, so we didn't wanna go too far away just to come back.
Turkish carpet store in the grand bazaar- Anne Hathaway was there!
The Turkish dance show at night was honestly incredible; the dancers were great! At intermission we enjoyed complimentary red and white wine...Bre, having 4 glasses, enjoyed it the most though! :P

The next day I took my mom to the beautiful Dolmabahci Palace! They don't let you take photos inside, but the following were taken on the palace grounds:


After our long tour through the palace, we went around back to go through the glass palace, and then we went to Bebek! Bebek is a beautiful area right by the Bosphorus (only 5 minutes from where I live!) We went to a great restaurant I love to have lunch!

Seafood margarita, beef carpaccio, and turkish style nachos....YUMMY!

As we were walking through Bebek, we found the best starbucks in the world...I only say this because it has the best location in the world...check it out:
Enjoy your signiature Starbucks beverage overlooked the Bosphorus, no big deal! ;)

That was *sadly* my mom's last day, but we had an enjoyable, relaxing ending day to her trip. We went to Vogue, a famous sushi restaurant located on the top floor of a nice building overlooking the bosphorus. This is home of the best sushi in Istanbul, fresh imports daily! I must say it reminds me of my favorite sushi restaurant "MF Buckhead" back home in Atlanta!

To say it was a successful week highly underestimates just how great it was. I can't begin to explain how happy I was to have my mom (in the flesh) in my life again for the first time in 3 months. Although I was very sad too have her leave so soon, I am very grateful she made the time to make the long trip over to see me! :) I love you mommy!


No comments:

Post a Comment