Thursday, August 19, 2010

Çey Varmı?

Recently I met our neighbor, a kind "grandpa-like" fellow with a big smile and seeming to have an even bigger heart. After a short introduction he said to me, "So Heather, you must know the most important phrase in Turkish, yes?" After a quite puzzled look from me, he said: "Çey Varmı?"

Pronounced "Chai Varma," this phrase translated into English is roughly: "Is tea available?"
Boy was he right, this is indeed the MOST important phrase in Turkey! People here drink tea like it's
their religion! At first you may think it to be a little odd, but in all honesty after drinking it a few times
myself here...I'm in love! I know we had the Boston tea party and whatnot in the US, but they got it
goin' on over here in Turkey. I thought Apple tea was my favorite....then I tried Kiwi- heaven! Then, I
discovered the cherry on top: Banana. (I don't even like Banana's?)

Kiwi Tea :)
Banana Tea! :D

Ready to learn some Turkish?! Here are some of the most common words/phrases:

Merhaba (Mare-ah-bah)- Hello
Taksi Varmı? (Taxi Varma) - Is a taxi available?
Tamam - Okay
Tamama? - Is it ok?
Teşekular (Tesh-ek-yoolar) - Thank you (informal)
Turkçe Bilmiyorum (Turk-chay Bilmee-yorum) I don't know Turkish


But most importantly...
Çey Varmı?

2 comments:

  1. a lost gift, to sit, relax and have a cup of tea with friends. Lani loved that part of south africa and england and had tea with her aupairs often. I am glad the Starbucks people are seeing the friendly face, do they serve lots of teas, or the same as here in the states.
    does the tea have caffiene, or caff free? I would think they would be up forever!!! Have a great time enjoying and learning, I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, you'll have to bring some back and have a tea party when you return, or open up a Turkish tea cafe, looks great! I had dinner with Holly and Jessica last night, had interesting sushi, a Godzilla roll that was good. I saw your new home, very cute, except for the mud pit in the back yard. The dog was running amuck, and Holly had the hose out when I left. It has finally stoppped raining and is supposed to be clear all week, so it should dry up soon. Bellamy is back in Charleston, classes start tomorrow. Hugs and love, Deanna Smith

    ReplyDelete